The ultimate Jerusalem travel experience. Pulsing with cultural diversity, this 5000 year old city is frequented by millions of travelers annually. Yerushalayim (as it is known in Hebrew) draws each and every visitor into an experience of intense spirituality. ‘Jerusalem of Gold’ is considered holy by the three major religions – Christianity, Judaism and Islam. The city offers an experience unlike any other in the world. It also happens to be the capital of Israel.
Jerusalem of Gold
When in Yerushaliyam – you can visit:
- Over 2,000 archaeological sites.
- More than 60 museums including the Israel Museum and Yad Vashem, the Holocaust museum reopened in 2005.
- 30 annual festivals, the most compared to any other Israeli city.
- The city’s highest rated night club: 17 Haoman
- Check out these Amazing pictures
Visiting the city, especially for the first time, can be a very overwhelming emotional experience. I clearly remember my first visit as a 16 year old on summer camp from Britain. Our group planned to spend the Jewish holiday of Passover in the old city. As it is traditional to read the Haggadah Jewish prayer book and pray for the ‘next year in Jerusalem’, you can imagine my anticipation was great. To this day I still remember how I felt walking around the old city; It was as though I had been transported back in time 3000 years as I wandered the stony alleyways and streets. One of the unique characteristics of this city is the architecture and use of Jerusalem stone. You will notice that all the buildings in the city have a similar look as they are all built from the same local stone – from the Western Wall built 3000 years ago to today’s modern buildings. I would definitely recommend hiring one of our preferred tour guides to show you around the city.
Jerusalem travel – This holy city also attracts many Jews from around the world who come to the Western Wall to celebrate the coming of age of their sons and daughters at the Bar/Bat Mizvah ceremony. Particularly on Tuesdays and Thursdays, you can visit the Kotel and see families celebrating this traditional and meaningful occasion. As a traveler to the Israeli capital, no amount of time you plan will ever be enough. There is so much to see and do and so much to learn historically. I do suggest you plan carefully to get the most out of your time in the city. Top recommendation: I strongly recommend you check out Things to Do in Jerusalem with the best one two and 8 day private and group guided tours available. If you spend more than a day in the city, check out my recommendations for Jerusalem hotels in the capital.
- Visit the Western Wall (known as the wailing wall or kotel in Hebrew) – Judaism’s most sacred site.
- Walk around the old city visiting its four quarters – the Jewish, Muslim, Christian and the Armenian Quarters.
- Check out the city’s many amazing museums, including the Israel museum.
- Dome of the Rock – Islam’s third most holy site, and the place from where Mohamed ascended on his ‘Night Journey’ to heaven.
- City of David – An incredible experience providing information about the ancient city
- Via Dolorosa – also known as the ‘Way of Sorrows’, the final path of Jesus.
- The Church of the Holy Sepulcher – the place where Jesus was crucified, buried and from which He resurrected.
- Western Wall Tunnel – see the ancient city below ground and the excavated Herodian street.
Jerusalem Travel like a Local
Take your time around Alquds (as the city is called in Arabic) if you can. There is so much to take in historically. If you have the time, visit and wander around the old neighborhoods:
- Famous Machaneh Yehuda food market.
- Mea Sha’erim ultra orthodox neighborhood.
- The modern Manilla Mall just near Jaffa Gate.
- The Arab market (known as the ‘shuk’ in Hebrew, and ‘suk’ in Arabic).
- Ben Yehuda Pedestrian Street featuring lots of street cafes and restaurants.
Friendly Reminder: Dress modestly! – nearly all of the places that you visit will require a modest dress code. Ladies especially should have something to cover both their heads and bare shoulders. More about Israel from Israel Travel Secrets. Tiyul na’eem (have a good trip in Hebrew) Lisa
The capital of Israel offers endless options from Jewish Heritage tours to Christian tours.
Caliber 3 – Israel Shooting Adventure
An authentic live combat and shooting adventure on your next visit to Israel. It’s the real deal…
EZ-Raider Tours – Jerusalem
EZ-Raiders Tours are the perfect way to see any urban city especially Jerusalem.
Segway Jerusalem – Enjoy an amazing up close guided tour of the best Jerusalem has to offer on a Segway. Super comfortable and easy to operate.